BREATHE California has taken positions on current legislative bills in accordance with our statewide priorities for the 2019-2020 legislative session. We have been actively tracking topics of concern (Tobacco & E-cigarettes, Green Technology, Air Quality, Respiratory Health Management) as they influence state policy and ultimately work in favor or against the respiratory health and well being of the vulnerable populations we serve.
The leading cause of respiratory diseases like Emphysema and Chronic Bronchitis is smoking. Although the public health push towards reducing cigarette consumption through taxes and health education has worked, E-cigarettes are now the most commonly used nicotine product among youth.
- SB 8 (Glazer) State parks: state coastal beaches: smoking ban
- SB 39 (Hill, Glazer, Portantino) Tobacco Products
Supporting our mission, these bills help promote clean air and healthy lungs through green and clean technology.
- AB 409 (Limón) Climate change: agriculture: Agriculture Climate Adaptation Tools Program: grants
- AB 1046 (Ting) Air Quality Improvement Program: Clean Vehicle Rebate Project
- AB 1100 (Kamlager-Dove) Electric Vehicles: Parking Requirements
- AB 1500 (Carillo) Hazardous Substances
- SB 44 (Skinner) Medium-duty and heavy-duty vehicles: comprehensive strategy
- SB 210 (Leyva) Heavy-Duty Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance Program
- SB 216 (Galgiani) Carl Moyer Memorial Air Quality Standards Attainment
Air pollution from wildfires has become an urgent concern given the increasing number of poor air quality days Californians have been experiencing.
- AB 836 (Wicks) Wildfire Smoke Clean Air Centers for Vulnerable Populations Incentive Program
- AB 1124 (Maienschein) Employment Safety: Outdoor workers: wildfire smoke
- SB 209 (Dodd) Wildfires: California Wildfire Warning Center: fire-weather monitoring
Asthma and COPD management through education and health professional guidance is necessary to support individuals living with respiratory disease. Access to these services in schools and in underrepresented communities is ideal to lessen the burden of disease for such.
- AB 258 (Jones-Sawyer) School-based Student Support Services Program
- AB 1322 (Berman) School-based health programs
- SB 207 (Hurtado) Medi-Cal: asthma presentative services